Friday, January 25, 2008

I am???

Bhagvita says that our body is a reflection of our soul….of our own SELF. Even if the body gets destroyed the soul….the self is eternal…its sublime…it lives.

So what is this SELF?

The yogic scriptures state it - as a force that resides within each one of us…a greater energy…a greater power. Some people experience it from time to time…some realize it and achieve it and some choose to lead this life as it comes and for them this self… God… is nothing but a hypothetical theory.

The scriptures further states that this SELF: is an absolute being living inside us…its an absolute consciousness…an absolute bliss…and that we are nothing but the SELF itself!!!

Huh!!!!

Really???

Well, how can that be?? If I’ am the self then why don’t I feel like it? How can someone talk about eternal bliss to me…specially in the world that I live in with endless tensions … sufferings…infatuations…mood swings…etc…etc…

The multiple terrors and agonies of existence do not overwhelm me becoz I keep my eyes resolutely shut against them. Through all sorts of ruses, with all sorts of medicines and devices I try to deny and avoid the depth of my pain and that of my fellow creatures for if I don’t then I would go crazzzzy.

Simply and honestly I ll try and count and measure the frights and alarms that have befallen my own heart – the fears of my childhood, the insults and rebuffs of adolescence, the anxieties and countless hurts and losses.

Forget absolute knowledge…forget the feeling of holding hands of your girl friend…forget the calmness u get by resting on your mother’s lap!!!

What about the abysmal ignorance that men and women live in???

Where do we come from??? Who are we?? Where are we going?? What are we doing?? Guys we have no idea…though we may depart any moment.

And as for fact, most of us feel that our identity and existence is so much less than it could have been. For example.we wanted to become a great concert pianist but…alas, we ended up working as a clerk! How pity! And truth often seems as remote and unobtainable as some brilliant distant star.

Perhaps in the end its all these sufferings that turns most of us towards a spiritual path. We start to feel the need of some guidance…

But for me my acquaintance with my spiritual path has been an interesting one… I guess am into it by chance…actually I started to believe in the concept of “SELF” slowly…very slowly. It was just the practice of mediation and certain yoga that fascinated me earlier got me into this path.

Now am completely logged in the path.

I don’t experience the self nor have I seen it just that I have felt its presence inside me and have touched my own space for just a moment…

Instead of feeling constant torrent of bliss, I experience spurts of pleasure and shocks of pain!

Its not that I don’t experience the self but just that my experience of the self is small and restricted, which is quite valuable for me…

So what is it that keeps me away from experiencing my Self in its full glory and form???

Yoga says it is – Your Mind!!

Gerald Manley Hopkins once said:-

“O the mind, mind has mountains; cliffs of fall
frightful, sheer, no man fathomed. Hold them

cheap

May who ne’er hung there”

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Life is cruel just as it is kind,
And to be kind it needs to be cruel;
Love, happiness, honour and beauty
Are trapped in this unceasing duel.
Now caution dictates my every move
In matters of life
In matters of love
I still wear my heart on my sleeve,
Though I try harder to shield it,
I have sharpened my brain with experience,
And I have learnt to wield it.
Years have passed and are passing still,
I have lost those I loved and some have lost me,
I have been touched and have been bruised, by my so close
Each caress and weal I have stored in memory.
You see a part of me now,
Perhaps I shall let you see the other sides of me,
Perhaps the present or some future destiny; u know
Through all of your judgement know this:
Disregarding every shred of vanity,
You never did, never will or hope to know,
Another individual quite like me.

Unknown said...

I wrote this when I was in 3rd standard....found my school diary from nowhere.. It defines each alphabet of friendship...

Fun is a must
Real it should be
Interesting and exciting
Envied by all who see
No need of wealth and brains or any
Duties to be done
Sharing secrets and cheering them,
Happiness shooting with a laughing gun,
Immense, loyal & love are the quality charts
Perfectly fitted in our innocent hearts…..

Hey how nice... but so girlyyy...and kiiddish... WOW i DONT WANT TO EVER GROW UP other than for having my own kids...is taht posssible....why...no...

Unknown said...

And all i need is u...
you could never be replaced or taken away
you are all that i own and thats more than i can say
you are me and i am u...
i am all that i have when i refer to u...
And all i need is me...and all i need is you....
I dont know what I deserve I dont know whom I deserve
I dont know what do I do What do I do for all those who matter for all those I love For all those who are me for all those who are you you are actually truly totally EVERyONE The ever one jus the one i need .... and all i really need is me and All I need is YOU....

Unknown said...

People think that a liar gains a victory over his victim. What I've learned is that a lie is an act of self-abdication, because one surrenders one's reality to the person to whom one lies, making that person one's master, condemning oneself from then on to faking the sort of reality that person's view requires to be faked. And if one gains the immediate purpose of the lie - the price one pays is the destruction of that which was intended to serve. The man who lies to the world, is the world's slave from then on